Recently, I was asked by my friend for recommendations on ‘good witchy movies’. ‘Not like Harry Potter’ she said, ‘more like The Craft’. Now you should know a few things- like for starters, I’m a big fan of horror movies. Not a die hard ‘cut off a body part for a signed first run VHS of Sleepaway Camp’ kind of fan, but a fan nonetheless. And- I’m a Witch. (Totally spoopy right?) So it makes sense that I already balance a love of the fantastically edgy, sometimes gory, always thrilling- and the quietly ethereal, sometimes visceral, abundantly misunderstood and misrepresented.
The Crisishour team has absolutely not seen every movie that involves witchcraft or the occult – but with our heads combined we can safely say these four eyes have witnessed some pretty kick ass witchy flicks. Here’s our list of favorites.
- Practical Magic : Simply enchanting. Small New England family magic, a generational curse, the bond of sisters, and the power of love.
- The Witches of Eastwick : The cast alone is magic. Add in the rest and the universe dances.
- Eve’s Bayou : Beautiful Creole-Gothic tale with a brilliant cast, highlighting the power of women.
- Beautiful Creatures : Southern Gothic at its most lavish. Irresistibly charming and hypnotic at moments.
- Simply Irresistible : Magic that just is, born from emotion, is easy for anyone to understand. This movie has heart and makes Team Crisishour have the feels.
And just for fun- a handful of shows that give us a similar kind of joy :
Charmed (both old and new!), American Horror Story Coven, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Ghost Whisperer, and Supernatural.
Happy Witching Out Crisishour Cult!